Home » 18mm
Category Archives: 18mm
I decided to start by building 10 tanks…
There would be one “command tank” with one main gun and a HMG and then three lots of three MkIII Steam tanks each with three 4 inch guns – a nice little tank company.
The tanks were easy to remove from the sprues and assemble. Cleanup is very little indeed. Gluing was straightforward – the tank base and body are held in place by “snapping on” the two side pieces that have the track moulded on so that bit is easy to “dry fit”.
Hopefully painting will be straightforward too, just like Tigers in 15mm scale for ‘Flames of War’!
Next I hope to build one more command tank and try my hand at converting one more tank into a “clamp tank”.
That will leave six tanks, probably to make into MkII Steamer tanks – they just look cool even without the heavy firepower.
I decided to build six of the Assault Tripods for the Martian force (then go on to build some US tanks to play against them) in a phased approach.
Here are some of the things I tried to do….
1) I am not keen on the Green Gas throwing model – I converted two Black Dust Launchers and two “Gas Bomb” holders into two “powered” launchers – one for each arm of the Tripod.
2) I converted an Assault Tripod and two Black Dust Launchers into a plastic “Grenadier Tripod”. I just used three of the “variable” legs from three of the Tripod sprues to make short legs (by not adding in the middle section). Then missed out the rectangular body piece and added the newly converted “rocket launcher” doohickeys.
3) I made three classic Heat Ray Tripods and then one traditional Black Dust Launcher.
4) I now have some spare parts especially leg sections so I may try to make one of the taller Tripod models (some plasticard is on its way).
5) Some of the plasticard can be used to make armour plates (I hope) to make a Veteran Tripod model.
I undercoated the plastic with white spray Primer, then Silver paint from Vallejo Game Color. A 50/50 black ink wash was used to give some texture and solidity to the model. Next will be a little paint to give a three colour effect (Keep it Simple!)
Basing – I have some various “red” accessories to try out and look forward to giving a real Martian feel to the Tripod bases!
Having failed to be engaged completely by the “Star Wars Armada” game, I decided to take advantage of an offer from Wayland Games for what worked out to be 25% off and free postage for “AQMF” All Quiet on the Martian Front.
I bought three of the Starter sets as they represent very good value – a total of 9 Martian Assault Tripods, 18 US Steam Tanks, 9 Rough Riders and 9 HMG teams, plus mini rule books, plastic tokens and templates.
Here are some pics of what came out of the box…. the game turns out to be something like and 18 or 19 mm scale game, closer to HO/OO model railway than 15mm, and therefore another scale to add to the list of those I have become acquainted with.
The plastic used for the sprues is a slightly softer than usual light grey and seems easy to work with. Cutting a few pieces off to try some builds with showed that cleanup was pretty fast and easy. The only pieces that seemed in any way brittle were the fine tendrils for the front of the Assault Tripods. As long as you clip or cut them carefully off the sprue there should be no problems. The sprues have a number of pieces that look useful for conversion work as each sprue allows more than one “build type” of Tripod or Tank. Nice indeed.
My only disappointments were:
1) The cut down 48 page mini rulebook. The A5 size rulebook is in black and white so you will need to go to the internet to find some colour pictures of Tripods if you don’t want to buy the full rulebook. There is a piece of folded black and white printed paper that gives some build instructions and a starter scenario. Other than that you need to buy the full rulebook and download the various PDF’s that have been added to the game in the last year or so.
2) Only three bases with each set of 30 infantry, not 6 as per the illustration on the back of the box (in each of the boxes). I emailed support at ‘aliendungeon’ but haven’t yet had a response…. 😦