Home » Altar of Freedom
Category Archives: Altar of Freedom
I made a start on the terrain after receiving an order of Woodland Scenics ‘bushes’ clump foliage (in light, medium and dark green). Parts FC1645 FC1646 FC1647.
I used a pack of 5 A4 black foamcard sheets (5mm thickness) to create a canopy for the woodland. PVA glue was generously applied to the foamcard and the bushes mixed up (in a 1:1:1 ratio of colours). The bushes were pressed onto the sheets and left 24 hours to dry.
I now need to go back and hot glue on more of the WC bushes to the bare parts of the board where the glue didn’t do its job.
I have 13 of these woods from the 5 sheets of A4 card. Next, I need to put some supports under the woods to raise them off the table. Units can then be pushed under the edges of the woods without removing them completely. See the link to the AoW website…. link.
Next, I cut up a 500mm x 500mm sandy coloured floor carpet tile into a number of rectangles. I used the same WS bushes and a hot glue gun to apply the bushes to the edges of the carpet tiles. Bingo, you have a quick field of wheat.
I have another darker carpet tile to use as well.
I finished the first batch of ACW Confederates. Flags and all. I even used one stand of unpainted cavalry and turned it into a Union brigade with the brimmed hat as an alternative to the kepi.
So far: Confederates have: 3 x HQ, 3 x General, 12 x Infantry brigades, 2 x Cavalry brigades, 4 Artillery brigades.
4 Generals and 4 HQ, 4 Artillery brigades, 12 infantry brigades, 1 cavalry brigade. I have another 5 infantry brigades, 2 cavalry and 2 artillery part-done.
All I need to do now is paint the weapons, edge the bases and add some static grass and talus.
Then I can play “Bull Run” (!) against my Federal forces (link).
I decided to quickly bump the number of infantry brigades to 18 by making six more bases.
This time I just glued the strips of line infantry and skirmishers to the base with the “hard as nails” glue gun. This stuff sets pretty quickly and keeps the metal bases firmly in place.
I also decided to change the talus on the base to something lighter in colour and less uniform in size.
I managed to get the first batch of ACW Union troops completed for the Altar of Freedom game. The only thing left for these guys is to take a felt tip pen to the edge of some of the paper flags to get rid of the white (where the fiddly edges didn’t go together quite right!).
Painting in 6mm is hard on my eyes – I don’t know how I am going to go back to finish off my GW Epic Space Marines (!)
The first batch is for the Union – Three Generals, three HQ’s (using some horse holders and pices of triangular balsa wood for tents), one cavalry brigade, six artillery brigades and 12 infantry brigades. All were completed using Vallejo Game Color acyclic paints, flexible filler, MDF bases, PVA to hold talus and static grass. Finished with a matt varnish spray and paper flags added (from baccus).
Next time I don’t think I will put the figures on the lolly sticks – just stick them straight to the bases and paint, strating with the Trousers and then working up – paint the base brwon last (carefully near the figures).
Base – Desert Yellow (72063) with brown game ink wash (number has gone off the bottle!)
Horses and muskets – Tierra Earth (72062).
Saddlebags – Dead Flesh (72035) and Magic Blue (72021).
Uniform Jacket/Kepis – Night Blue (72019)
Uniform Trousers – Electric Blue (72023 not 007 !)
Round Hats – Black (72051)
Banner pole tops and Gun barrels – Glorious Gold (72056)
Drybrush on all figures – Ghost Grey (72046)
Flesh – Pale Flesh (72003)
Artillery men trouser piping – Scarlett Red (72012)
Gun carriages – Sombre Grey (72040) with a drybrush of Wolf Grey (72047)
I weighed all of the little strips of models I had for my ACW armies. A fraction over 2Kg of 6mm scale metal that required very little cleanup.
The strips were sorted into which side and then into type. Each was given a light undercoat of white Primer spray.
After that I took a dozen brigades worth of Union infantry, and a few supporting units – enough for the First Bull run scenario in the ‘Altar of Freedom‘ supplement for the Eastern theatre – and then tacked them to lollipop sticks for painting.
The next job is painting (followed by the Confederate force!)
Here are my attempts at turning the little Baccus 6mm scale casualty markers into Fatigue tokens for the “Altar of Freedom” game using some 15mm mdf counters. Painting next!
It took about two hours to get these from the metal rectangles to being ready to paint. Each little marker needed about 6 goes of the tin snips to round off the edges before being able to super-glue it to the round base. Fine sand was PVA glued around the edge of the token to help disguise the metal base.