Saga: new Conquest plastic Norman Warriors – finished

•July 29, 2014 • Leave a Comment

I got to take a few piccies of the new Normans – Conquest Games plastics.

8 warrior spears plus the two Knights behind them – added to the existing Knights at the back of the table….

Saga: Crescent and Cross is now “Coming Soon”!

•July 29, 2014 • Leave a Comment

The new Saga book is now being advertised on the Gripping Beast website as Coming Soon. Very soon I should think. Here’s my fresh new copy – a beautiful hard back 120 pages plus a reference sheet and 6 cardstock battleboards. The artwork is fantastic.

It’s worth it for the “new book” smell (!)

Here is a link to my review of this game… link.

Edit: Even the couple of “French word” typos on the referecne sheet have now gone! Hows that for good service.

  C&C

Saga: AAR 6 points Clash of Warlords – Scots v Byzantines

•July 28, 2014 • Leave a Comment

Here’s a link to a post I made on http://www.sagatapestry.com

Battle report.

It covers a clash of two very different factions! Thanks to Dan for the game – always fun and educational!

Saga: creating a plastic Mutatawwi’a army

•July 28, 2014 • Leave a Comment

I wanted to create a Spanish army for the new Saga: The Crescent and the Cross book due out very soon.

As I had literally just finished a six point Scot army AND another ten cavalry for the plastic Norman army I have had for a while, I thought it would be good to get a quick project off the ground. With that in mind I have spent several hours of the last couple of days putting together 45 plastic figures for a mutatawwi’a faction.

To make this faction required the full content of a Gripping Beast Arab Spearmen box set and a few cavalry (one Conquest Norman plus “bits” from the bitz box and four Wargame Factory ancient german cavalry (again with added “bitz”  mainly from the Arab spearmen!).

The wargame factory cavalry were a quick fill-in to make the units up to 6 points worth. I may add another 4 later as they look more like warriors than Knights on those little horses! Still, they have “the look” for now.

I like the fact that the plastic Arabs have the sprue connected on the base, where it comes off easily and requires almost no cleaning up. It also helps that the top of the figure is connected on the top of the neck, which cleans up easily and is hidden by the head – not all plastic figures are fastened to the sprue this way!

Sadly, I found that one of the bows on each sprue is a bit miscast – the top end is missing. Theres not much I can do that wouldn’t draw attention to the bow, I just went with it as it is.

Here are some WIP images….

 

Saga: plastic Norman reinforcements on the way.

•July 28, 2014 • Leave a Comment

While painting up the Scot list (33 Scots, 8 Norman cavalry as allies) I decided to make 8 Norman mounted Warriors and two more Norman Knights.

This takes me up to 7 units for Normans, 3 x Knights (plus a spare Bannerman), 1 x mounted Warriors, 1 x foot Warriors, 1 x warrior Crossbows, 1 x Levy archers.

The mounted warriors are more flexible than the foot spearmen (IMO) after the games I have already played with them.

piccies…. (one mainly complete, nine more on the road!)

saga norman warriors (2)

 

These figures are now finished and boxed, so will get to use them soon.

Conquest and Gripping Beast plastic Scots Saga faction

•July 27, 2014 • Leave a Comment

Here is my (for now) completed 6 points of Saga Scots. The troops could be used for a variety of forces, so “Scots” is being used loosely.

All the models are plastics. The Warlord is a Gripping Beast Saxon hearthguard. The 32 spearmen are Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors (the ones with trousers!) – I would have preferred some bare legs in warriors that could be Scots, or Welsh or Irish, but I had to work with what I had.

I haven’t gone all out to model tartan, but the colour schemes leave the warriors open to be pretty generic in use. The paints used were various Vallejo game color (and inks), the basing using Javis static grass and army painter grass tufts. The basing on the Warlord was a Renedra 40mm base with some filler, pebbles and PVA glue (very easy to make).

The models flesh was washed with watered down Vallejo skin wash. For a less orangey look you could try their Sepia wash.

The cavalry are Conquest Norman Knights. I could have used smaller plastic Wargame Factory ancient germanic cavalry models, but I wanted to use the special rule for Scots Hero “Macbeth”. He can upgrade a unit of hearthguard cavalry to be Norman Exiles, who gain an extra attack dice apiece if they engage an enemy in combat. Very useful. So the models used were Norman Knights.

I can now field the Warlord, 2 points of Knights and 4 points of Warrior spearmen. If I drop on point of warriors I can upgrade the Warlord to be Macbeth.

Looking forward to using these soon!

pics…

 

 

 

Saga: The Spanish Warband

•July 22, 2014 • 1 Comment

I took a look at the Spanish faction from the upcoming Crescent and Cross book over on the http://www.sagatapestry.com site.

I am really liking the look of this new army – in fact they all look interesting with some real flavour and new mechanics – and the good news is you can play them against the existing Dark Age factions!

I haven’t included Saga dice costs or the Hero abilities in full as the book hasn’t been released yet – just something that really interested me and hopefully wets the appetite for “new SAGA”!

LINK.

 

 

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 36 other followers